Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
One of the ways we help working families is through the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program. VITA is a free tax preparation service available to low-income individuals, people who have a disability, and those who speak limited English.
United Way helps to recruit VITA volunteers, publicizes the service in the community, helps find locations for programs, and provides financial support to make these services possible throughout our region. We support VITA because it is an effective way to help low-income working families.
Everyone wins from this program:
- VITA clients save money, get accurate returns, and take advantage of all the credits for which they are eligible.
- Volunteers have a hands-on experience helping other families.
- And, the local economy benefits as VITA families spend their tax refunds locally, fueling business growth and jobs right here in greater New Haven.
- 4,500+ people filed their taxes through VITA this past tax season in greater New Haven.
- The average return was $1,800 for families in our region.
- The average annual income of those served by VITA was $24,625.
- $7 million+ returned to families in greater New Haven through VITA this past year.
- $21,536,279 returned to families in greater New Haven through VITA over the past three years.
Looking for tax preparation services? See 2021 tax sites here.