United Way of Greater New Haven fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our region. We tackle issues that cannot be solved by any one group working alone.
Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement
We Love What Makes You Unique
Your perspective fuels our mission-driven work at United Way of Greater New Haven. We are committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience.
Who We Are Looking For
Are you passionate about using your marketing and engagement leadership talents as a force for good in our community? Are you the type of person who speaks up for those who need a voice? Can you tell a good story, dream up an inspiring volunteer project, and lead a team with passion? Are you ready to help us build a movement?
If so, our Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement position may be perfect for you.
What You Will Do
- Your number one job is to be a passionate United Way cheerleader. If that statement gets you excited, keep reading. If not, this may not be for you. You will succeed in this position if you can build relationships within our organization and beyond. As a United Way brand ambassador, we need you to be loud and proud about your passion for United Way and our community. You will be required to work some evenings and weekends to represent United Way at our signature events, professional networking meet-ups in the region, and other community events.
- For Marketing and Volunteer Engagement, the buck stops with you. You will set the direction and manage a team focused on UWGNH’s external and internal communications as well as our volunteer engagement work. You will create and execute an annual marketing and engagement plan with your team, including managing the Marketing and Engagement budget. You will foster a culture of sharing impact stories amongst staff and with our nonprofit partners.
- You will help United Way build a movement. We’re talking about community organizing as a way to create meaningful change. LIVE UNITED is our slogan at United Way, and we want you to help us bring that to life in all aspects of our work. You will shape and lead our local, on-the-ground strategy using United Way staff and volunteers. You will foster a kinder, more connected community in this part of your work and that will feel awesome. As we turn 100 years old in 2020, you will help United Way rise up as the local organization providing moral leadership and a forum for good deeds and measurable impact for the future.
- Storytelling is key. You will interview the people United Way serves and our donors, which requires compassion and adaptability. We need you to create stories and messaging that is compelling and tangible which will in turn help drive real fundraising results. Your new ideas are a must. Producing impactful videos is a huge plus.
- You will work as part of a team. As a member of the Senior Leadership team, your vision will help the organization prioritize and think about what’s next. You will report to the President and CEO, and meet weekly with your Marketing and Engagement team. You’ll collaborate with our fundraising team to dream up new ways to reach local businesses and individuals looking to give back to the community. You will also maintain good working relationships with community, nonprofit and business leaders. And of course, there will be other duties as assigned.
What You Need
- A positive, team-focused, can-do attitude with a commitment to excellent user experience.
- A bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Communications, or equivalent work experience.
- A driver’s license and a reliable vehicle because you will need to travel throughout our region. You will be able to expense your mileage.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate to key stakeholders and staff; strong written, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to problem solve in the moment and juggle multiple priorities.
- High degree of professional integrity to deal ethically with confidential information.
- High comfort level with MS Office suite, Google apps including Gmail, and social media.
- The ability to lift 40 pound boxes to a height of 3-4 feet and load them into and out of vehicles as necessary for events and volunteer projects.
About United Way
United Way of Greater New Haven brings people and organizations together to create solutions to Greater New Haven’s most pressing challenges in the areas of Education, Health, and Financial Stability. We tackle issues that cannot be solved by any one group working alone. United Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Submit your resume and the best cover letter we’ve ever seen to [email protected]. No phone calls, please, but we encourage you to explore uwgnh.org to learn more about what we do. The position will remain open until filled.